SPYDER RYDER OF AMERICA™ (SRA)
Charter / Constitution & Bylaws
Spyder Ryder of America™ – National Chapter
Article I – Purpose
- As of 15 January 2011, the following bylaws will be that of Spyder Ryder of America™ (SRA) (an Owner’s / Riders Group), National Chapter.
- The purpose of these Bylaws is to preserve and protect the Constitution and Bylaws of the Organization, as well as the integrity and character of the Club for its Membership.
- In the event an item not addressed by these Bylaws and needs to be implemented, an amendment will be made by the executive officer and national director.
Annual Charter for S.R.A. Chapters
I – Purpose
II – Sponsorship
III – Application and Term of Relationship
IV – Name and Affiliation
V – Officers
VI – Membership
VII – Dues
VIII – Activities
IX – Chapter Publications
X – Trademark License
XI – By-Laws
XII – Amendments
XIII – Disbursement of Funds
XIV – Disclaimer
XV – National, State, Local Laws
XVI – Operating Policies (U.S. Chapters only)
Spyder Ryder of America™ (S.R.A.) is an organization founded and established to offer motorcycling benefits and services to Can Am Spyder Roadster enthusiasts throughout the United States, and to develop a close relationship between the Can Am Spyder Roadster rider, the Can Am Spyder Roadster Dealer and Bombardier Recreational Products Inc., Can Am Series.
The opportunity to create an independent chapter affiliated with Spyder Ryder of America™, whose purpose is to bring members together for the common interest of promoting motorcycling activities and safety, is available to those qualified in S.R.A. approved areas. The goal of each chapter is to generate an increased level of enthusiasm for riding the Can Am Spyder Roadster. The Chapter shall be a family oriented nonpolitical organization.
- The purpose of the local chapter is to promote responsible motorcycling activities for Spyder Ryder of America™ members by conducting chapter activities and encouraging participation in other S.R.A. events.
- Chapter activities and operations shall be conducted in a manner consistent with a family oriented nonpolitical philosophy.
- Each chapter may be sponsored (not required) by an authorized Can Am Spyder Roadster dealership. The decision to have a chapter sponsor shall be undertaken solely at the chapter’s discretion and is not required to keep each chapter independent.
- An authorized Can Am Spyder Roadster dealership may sponsor any S.R.A. chapter.
- The sponsoring dealership shall have absolutely no authority over how the chapter conducts its operations and activities.
Chapter affiliation with S.R.A. shall be for a one year term and shall be subject to annual renewal and acceptance by S.R.A.
- Spyder Ryder of America™ is not owned or operated by Bombardier Recreational Products Inc., Can Am Series.
- Spyder Ryder of America™ is the chartering body for all S.R.A. chapters. Each chapter affiliated with the Spyder Ryder of America™ shall be a separate and independent organization providing services to its chapter members on a state “not-for-profit” basis.
- Each affiliated chapter must adhere to this Charter / bylaws and to S.R.A. Operating Policies.
- This Charter / by laws and the S.R.A. Operating Policies shall supersede any local chapter by laws.
- Affiliated chapters shall be named after the respective city or locale. S.R.A. shall have the sole right to approve chapter names.
- Should S.R.A. determine, in its sole discretion, that a chapter is not adhering to this Charter, S.R.A. may rescind its recognition of the chapter as a S.R.A. affiliated organization.
SECTION A – S.R.A. National Chapter Officers
S.R.A. Charter Officers will consist of an Executive Officer / Executive Director and a National Director which may be combined for a period of 5 years (starting Nov. 2, 2010). The executive officer is a onetime permanent position with absolute business and / or decision making powers. The National Director and Trustees shall act as the advisory board to the Executive Officer for the benefit of the national chapter members and local chapter policies. The Executive Officer may appoint any or all of the national board positions during the first 5 years only as needed.
After 5 years the S.R.A. executive officer shall from the national membership complete the following: (Election of Officers) the following SRA officers will be appointed in accordance with the SRA Charter, to serve a period of one year (“recurring dates”). All positions must be held by an active national member to maintain continuity with the SRA leadership and assure direct associations with the Executive Officer of SRA. There are no restrictions for elected officers.
- National Director
- Western States Regional Representative
- Eastern States Regional Representative
- Midwestern States Regional Representative
The S.R.A. Charter will be updated in accordance with the requirements for elected officers at a later date.
Succession of Officers
In event of an Officer’s death, resignation, disability, or disqualification, the officers will nominate a successor from the National membership. That person will hold the position until regular voting occurs.
In the event that the executive officer position is vacated, the National Director shall become President and establish a board of directors from the Trustees and Regional Representative who are national members.
SECTION B – Chapter Officers
- Affiliated chapters shall have the following primary officers: Director/President, Assistant Director/Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary. Other discretionary officers may be appointed as needed.
- The membership may assume any, or all, officer position(s) including their respective responsibilities and may remove any officer from office where Chapter Bylaws permit. The membership may determine how chapter officers are selected and the length of their terms in office except where specified otherwise in the Chapter Bylaws.
- The S.R.A. has the authority to require the chapter to perform to the S.R.A. standards and assure S.R.A. that the chapter abides by this Charter and the Operating Policies.
- The duties and responsibilities of the primary (required) chapter officers shall be as follows:
- Executive Director/ President: The Director shall uphold this Charter and the chapter bylaws, conduct chapter meetings and coordinate chapter officer responsibilities.
- National Director/ Vice President: The Assistant Director shall assist the Director in carrying out the Director’s duties. The Assistant Director shall also be responsible for promoting membership, membership orientation, membership retention, and keeping the chapter members informed of S.R.A. programs.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer shall be responsible for the collection and disbursement of chapter funds, reporting the financial transactions to the membership on a monthly basis, submitting an annual financial report to S.R.A., compliance with all revenue recording and reporting requirements.
- Secretary: The Secretary shall be responsible for the administrative needs of the chapter, keeping the minutes of chapter annual business meetings and general meetings, oversees the position of membership officer if it exists, ensuring that all chapter members are current S.R.A. members, having on file a signed copy of the Annual Chapter Membership Enrollment Form and Release of each member as signed on an annual basis, and submitting to S.R.A. the S.R.A. Chapter Charter Application and any other reports as required by S.R.A. Further, the Secretary shall ensure that all insurance requirements are met (including participant signatures to required release forms), shall ensure preparation of injury report forms, timely submission of injury report forms to the appropriate insurance company and shall be responsible for the maintenance and storage of release forms and injury reports.
- Board Members:
- The duties and responsibilities of the discretionary (optional)chapter officers shall be:
- Activities Officer: The Activities Officer shall be responsible for the administration of chapter events.
- Ladies of S.R.A. Officer: The Ladies of SRA Officer shall be responsible for encouraging women members to take an active part in chapter activities.
- Road Captain: The Road Captain(s) shall be responsible for assisting in the planning of routes for chapter rides and keeping the Chapter informed of all S.R.A. programs.
- Editor: The Editor shall be responsible for assembling and organizing written, oral (broadcast) and electronic material for chapter publications, e.g., newsletters, press releases. All chapter publications, whether written, oral (broadcast) or electronic, shall be subject to approval by the board of directors prior to publication.
- Safety Officer: The Safety Officer shall be responsible for providing chapter members with information relating to the availability of rider training.
- Photographer: The Photographer shall be responsible for obtaining and organizing chapter photographs for use in chapter publications and chapter history albums.
- Historian: The Historian shall be responsible for the preparation and maintenance of a written account of the history of the chapter, to include officer positions, chapter activities and membership levels.
- Membership Officer: The Membership Officer shall be responsible for ensuring that all chapter members are current S.R.A. members, having filed a signed copy of the Annual Chapter Membership Enrollment Form and Release of each member as signed on an annual basis; maintains chapter membership report.
- Webmaster: The Webmaster shall be responsible for assembling and organizing material for the Chapter Web site and seeking approval from the sponsoring dealer prior to publication.
- All Spyder Ryder of America™ National members may join any affiliated local chapter unless it contradicts Chapter Bylaws pertaining to geographic residence. An expired membership in S.R.A. (local chapter) automatically terminates National chapter membership. It shall be the responsibility of each local chapter to ensure that National members are current S.R.A.Chapter members and to maintain on file in the chapter records a signed copy of the annual Chapter Membership Enrollment Form and Release of each chapter member. It shall be the responsibility of any person applying for, or renewing membership in the National chapter to provide proof of his or hers local chapter membership as a condition of eligibility for National membership.
- The chapter may suspend or terminate a person’s membership if that chapter’s board of directors, determines that a member’s conduct is undesirable or contrary to the sponsoring chapter or S.R.A.’s best interests.
S.R.A. National Membership Fees
First year membership package is to be purchased at $175.00 with a free 1st year membership.
- Renewal of active National Membership: $40.00 annually.
An active member’s fees must be paid to date. An active member may discuss all matters in which the member has interests. Upon, membership renewal, a new year bar will be sent to each active member.
- National Membership dues shall not be required for the first 3 years starting Nov. 2, 2010 till Nov.2, 2013 at which time the National Management Committee and the Executive Officer / Executive Director will determine whether National membership will be required of all local chapter members prior to acceptance into a local chapter.
- Local Chapter dues are to be utilized solely to pay or defray the cost of chapter administration.
- Local Chapters may conduct legitimate fund-raising activities to assist in paying or defraying chapter operating expenses or to raise funds for charitable purposes. All such fund-raising activity shall be subject to approval by the Chapter board and S.R.A. National.
Chapter events and activities are the sole responsibility of the local chapter. These events and activities may include any family-oriented, safe activities that promote a positive image of chapter membership to the community.
All material published by the chapter must include the official chapter name and number. All chapter publications, whether written, oral (broadcast), or electronic must be approved by the chapters board of directors. If, at any time, S.R.A. determines in its sole discretion that a chapter publication is incompatible with the family-oriented, nonpolitical philosophies and/or objectives of S.R.A., the chapter recognition as a S.R.A. affiliated organization may be terminated. A copy of all chapter publications of any type must be sent to the S.R.A. office.
- The trademarks S.R.A.™, Spyder Ryder of America™, L of S.R.A.™, LADIES OF S.R.A.™ , American Spyder Ryder™ and the following S.R.A. logos (the “S.R.A. Trademarks”) are among the many trademarks of Spyder Ryder of America™. These S.R.A. Trademarks may not be altered in any way and cannot be used in combination with any other words or graphics.
Master Logo – Mileage Badge – 4 X 4 winged – Charter Member – Flag Spyder – National Charter and Year Bar
- The issuance or renewal of this Annual Charter for S.R.A. Chapters shall constitute a limited license to use the S.R.A. Trademarks for the term of this Annual Charter for S.R.A. Chapters.
- All SRA patches, SRA Logo items and Rockers shall be purchased from SRA National only.
- The Chartered S.R.A. Chapter’s license to use the S.R.A. Trademarks is limited to use in conjunction with the official chapter name and use in conjunction with material relating to chapter activities.
- The current S.R.A. eagle logo shall be displayed only with the official chapter name, which official chapter name shall be displayed below the S.R.A. eagle logo and within the official S.R.A. chapter chevron.
- Chapters must obtain approval from S.R.A. prior to using S.R.A. Trademarks on any material other than chapter publications. T-shirts, pins and all other items are only to be produced by S.R.A. approved makers of Spyder Ryder of America™ merchandise and shall likewise be subject to prior approval by S.R.A.
- Chapter use of the S.R.A. Trademarks may continue only so long as this Annual Charter is in effect between S.R.A. and the chartered chapter and the chapter operates in accordance with this Annual Charter and S.R.A. Operating Policies. S.R.A. may, at its sole discretion, terminate the chapter’s limited license to use the S.R.A. Trademarks at any time upon thirty (30) days’ notice in writing, and the chapter will immediately terminate all use of the Trademarks when the notice becomes effective.
- The chapter shall provide such assistance as may reasonably be requested by Bombardier Recreational Products Inc., Can Am Series to protect the S.R.A. Trademarks in the locality of the chapter’s operations.
- This Charter shall be adopted and serve as operating policy for S.R.A. chapters and must be available to all chapter members.
- Chapter bylaws, if needed, may not replace, supersede or conflict with this Charter and S.R.A. Operating Policies. The S.R.A. office must approve chapter bylaws prior to publication or implementation. Once adopted, a copy of the chapter bylaws must be furnished to the S.R.A. office and must be available to all chapter members.
S.R.A. may amend this Charter at any time, at its sole discretion, based upon S.R.A.’s review of chapter developments and needs or because of conflicts with national, state, or local laws.
In the event of dissolution or final liquidation of the Chapter, after paying or making provision for the payment of all of the liabilities and obligations of the Chapter and for necessary expenses thereof, all of the remaining funds and property of the Chapter shall, be distributed to such organization or organizations as are organized and operated exclusively for charitable purposes and which qualify as an exempt organization or organizations under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. In no event shall any of such assets or property be distributed to any director, officer or private individual.
While the chapter may be affiliated with S.R.A., it remains a separate, independent entity responsible for its actions. All Spyder Ryder of America™ members and their guest(s) participate voluntarily and at their own risk in S.R.A. and S.R.A. chapter activities. The sponsoring dealer(if any), S.R.A. and Bombardier Recreational Products Inc., Can Am Series, its subsidiaries and distributors and local chapter officers are and shall be released and held harmless by the member/guest for any injury or loss to the member/guest or to his or her property which may result from participation in S.R.A. or S.R.A. chapter activities. This means that each and every member of the local chapter and their guest(s) have no grounds for legal action against the sponsoring dealer(if any), S.R.A., Bombardier Recreational Products Inc., Can Am Series, its distributors and its subsidiaries, the local chapters and their respective agents and employees for any injury resulting to them or their property.
If any part of this Charter should be invalid for any reason whatsoever under any national, state or local laws having jurisdiction over the subject matter of this Charter, then that part shall be considered deleted from this Charter and the rest of this Charter shall remain valid and in full force and effect.
- Assistant Director Duties: The assistant director shall also act as S.R.A. State Rally liaison and shall ensure that information regarding S.R.A. State Rallies is communicated to the chapter membership.
- Treasurer’s Duties: The chapter treasurer shall also be responsible for administering any and all federal, state and local revenue reporting and taxation requirements.
- Dues: Annual chapter membership dues (if any) may not exceed twenty four dollars ($24.00) as approved by the membership.
- Chapter Activities:
- Chapters may (not required) hold a minimum of four closed events per year.
- Closed events are those chapter events which are open to chapter members and one guest per member only.
- Member events are events that are open only to S.R.A. members.
- Open events are those chapter events which are open to chapter members, national S.R.A. members and other guests as desired.
- Membership:In order to suspend or revoke a membership in the chapter, the board of directors must do the following:
- Notify the member in writing of the cancellation of his or her chapter membership.
- Refund the member’s chapter dues prorated for the year.
- Send a copy of the cancellation letter to the appropriate person.
- Newsletters: Chapters should publish a minimum of four newsletters per year to be eligible to maintain S.R.A. affiliation. Newsletters can consist of any printed material informing the membership of activities, i.e. post cards, flyers, multi-page publications, Face book, email etc. Activities listed in the newsletter must indicate whether it is an open event, S.R.A. member event or closed event.
- Chapter Status: Any chapter which fails to conduct any events and / or fails to publish four newsletters in one year shall have their chapter recognition as a S.R.A. affiliated organization rescinded.
I, the undersigned, named as first Director in the Articles of National Chapter, and hereby consent to, and do, adopt the foregoing Charter and / or Bylaws, consisting of six (6) pages, as the charter of said Chapter.
Kenneth B. Miller, Executive Director / National Director